Wednesday, August 10, 2011


Just finished a rough vocal on Julian's backing track - the subject is the incredibly endangered Red Slender Loris, whose Sri Lankan forest habitat has been chopped down to make floors. The poor little buggers are also hunted to make 'medicine' for stupid people's eyes. There seems almost no hope for the Red Slender Loris, but upon reading about them, I found them to be such fun-loving mules I found it hard to write anything particularly maudlin. Jules' awesome backing track is suitably cheeky and upbeat, so I took a lighter approach - somewhere between Harry Nilsson, Simon & Garfunkel and Randy Newman (now I've got to try and sing half as well as those guys!)

1 comment:

  1. I really love this track. Definitely one of my favourites on the album. It helps that the backing track is so light and lively, but also the vocal style is really expansive and fun. One thing that I really enjoy is how the first verse develops independently of the backing track, one line ahead of it you might say. That's a novel device and it works very well here.

    ReplyDelete